Friday 20 June, 2008

Rain - Lovely Rain























I know CBM will kill me for borrowing her idea, but I was so in awe of the natural beauty around me, that I just had to post! Thats a good enough reason I guess.



When it comes to seasons, I love the winters. Its the time of the year when I can sip a hot beverage and really enjoy it; sit around a fire or an angethi chatting with friends; and most importantly, I dont need to iron my shirt! Theres always the sweater to hide the crumpled shirt :). Of course, I love the snow and always looked forward to the Met Department predicting sub-zero temperatures for the next week. In short, I love the cold!



When it came to rains, the first rain with the hail and thunder, were good times as kids. I'd also hope that it rains in the areas where I have some plantations, so that I got some extra pocket money :) But, most of the times, rains brought inconvenience. As a teenager, I was into tennis and whenever it rained - there was no tennis for a few days. In college, it was pain to walk to class in all the slush. I still distinctly remember my first day at work. Boss tells me to leave early on the first day and go enjoy myself. I walk out of the office and lo and behold - its raining cats and dogs and I dont have an umbrella! I wait for around 45 mins for the rain to stop. Then, since I am on Dalal street and they dont sell umbrellas there, I dash to Bombay store (yes yes - I was young and foolish then) and buy what will probably be the most expensive umbrella that I have ever purchased! (On the issue of umbrellas, there is another story, which I reserve for later). There was also a time when I nearly missed a train (which I really really had to take for a variety of reasons) because of the Bombay rains. Later in life, when in Bangalore, I remember being stuck in traffic day after day, because the entire city was waterlogged or the time when it took me 2 hrs and 45 mins to get to the airport, when it should have taken just 45, because a few roads here and there were waterlogged. So, I was indifferent about the rains.



Not so this year. It maybe because I have never experienced temperatures of 45 degrees celsius consistently for weeks at end and hence, was really looking forward to the rains to bring the temperatures back to normal. But, I think it was more so, because of the natural beauty that surrounded me once it started raining. I have always loved nature - be it forests, greenery, birds and animals. As a kid, I used to love giving shelter to lost (as I perceived them to be) toads, squirrels etc (much against the wishes of my mum). Now, much to CBM's displeasure, I love following birds and animals when out on a vacation and photograph them! So, in the summers, I missed the migratory birds flying over my office, every evening at 6 PM or of the birds chirping overhead or outside my window. All that suddenly came back the day it rained and it felt normal! There is also the light mist all around and the smell of the earth, soaked with water.



So, this year I have a very different perception of the rains and yes - it is definitely a wonderful world :). I guess the pictures better convey what I am trying to say.


PS: CBM took some of these pics!

No comments: